Hartford Seminary, founded in 1833, is an innovative educational institution that has long led the way in new directions for theological education to promote interfaith understanding and to strengthen faith communities. Its small size makes it a place for close personal engagement with colleagues, coupled with nimble and creative approaches to exploring the emerging dynamics in American religious life. The mission of the seminary is to serve God by (1) preparing leaders, students, and religious institutions to understand and live faithfully in today?s multifaith and pluralistic world, (2) teaching, research, informing the public, and engaging persons in dialogue, and (3) affirming the particularities of faith and social context while openly exploring differences and commonalities. This mission is manifested in curricular programs that include the M.A., the cooperative M.Div., the D.Min., the Ph.D. conducted jointly with the University of Exeter, certificate programs in Black ministries, Hispanic ministries, and women?s leadership, and several graduate certificate programs, including in Islamic chaplaincy.
The Director of Admissions will be responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of recruitment strategies designed to attract and enroll students at Hartford Seminary. This position will report directly to the president and serve as a member of the president?s senior staff.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and executes an annual student recruitment plan to support institutional goals and provides a strategy for the admissions office activities and to ensure growth objectives.
- Develops and implements ways to attract non-matriculated students to take courses at Hartford Seminary as auditors and special students.
- Overall responsibility for cultivating potential students and encouraging them through the admissions process from the inquiry stage until their applications are complete.
- Supervises the production of all Seminary materials related to recruitment and educational programs, in partnership with the Director of Public and Institutional Affairs.
- Management of all admissions office data.
- Develop, implement and evaluate all on- and off-campus recruiting events.
- Develop presentations to be used at recruitment events, including program-specific materials.
- Cultivate relationships with appropriate contacts, religion department chairs, college counselors, campus ministers and others, and visit when appropriate.
- Handles related duties as assigned by the president.
5-7 years experience in a student recruitment office; a bachelor?s degree (required) or master?s degree (desired); an affinity for the mission of Hartford Seminary; strong presentation, interpersonal, writing, listening, and organizational skills; keen attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines; ability to motivate and engage others; an ability to read and interpret data; creativity; a willingness to embrace the ideas of others; and comfortable working in a culturally diverse and inclusive environment.
Hartford Seminary is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume by August 1, 2011 to:
Mary Zeman, Director of Human Resources
77 Sherman Street
Hartford, CT 06105
NO PHONE CALLS