the following syllabus is posted
as a DRAFT and is subject to change
Miguel De La Torre, Reading the Bible from the Margins.
Efrain Agosto, Servant Leadership: Jesus and Paul, chapters 1-3.
Cain Hope Felder, Stony the Road We Trod.
Justo Gonzalez, Reading the Bible through Hispanic Eyes.
Fernando Segovia & Mary Ann Tolbert, eds., Reading from This Place, Volume One.
Fernando Segovia, Decolonizing Biblical Studies: A View from the Margins.
Letty M. Russell, ed., Feminist Interpretation of the Bible.
Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza, In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins.
- Weekly Reading and Response to Discussion Questions; Posting of Response to at least one other student’s Responses.
- Posted student reports on hermeneutical theory from the margins or exegetical sample using African American, feminist or Latino interpretative guide.
- Final research paper on aspect of New Testament interpretation from underrepresented perspectives.
Week One – Introduction to course, readings and expectations; a brief overview of the history of New Testament interpretation.
Weeks Two to five – Theoretical Perspectives
• African American biblical interpretation – Stony the Road We Trod
• Feminist biblical interpretation – Schussler-Fiorenza
• Latino biblical interpretation – Gonzalez, Segovia
• Postcolonial biblical studies - Segovia
Weeks six to ten – New Testament Texts
• Selective others
Weeks 11 and 12 – student posted reports and responses
Week 13 – wrap-up and what’s next in hermeneutical studies