Articles and Book Reviews
Sr. Rabia Harris, a Hartford Seminary Islamic Chaplaincy Program graduate (2009), has written a manual for CPE supervisors entitled, “Supporting Your Muslim Students: A Guide for Clinical Pastoral Education”. This is published and available through the ACPE at $5/copy. Contact ACPE: 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103 Decatur, GA 30033; Phone: 404-320-1472; Email: email@example.com
Dignity and Patient Care: An Islamic Perspective by Ingrid Mattson in the Yale Journal for Humanities in Medicine
“The terminally ill Muslim: Death and dying from the Muslim perspective.” Found in American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care, Volume 18 No. 4, July/August 2001. By Sarhill, LeGrand, Islambouli, Davis and Walsh.
Can Islamic Spiritual Scale Be Useful By Nazila Isgandarova, PhD student, Muslim College, London, UK and Resident Chaplain, St. Joseph’s healthcare Setting, Hamilton, ON
Hartford Seminary Adjunct Professor Ahmed Nezar Kobeisy has published an important resource for professionals who counsel Muslims. The book Counseling American Muslims: Understanding the Faith and Helping the People is published in 2004 by Praeger in their “Contributions in Psychology” series.
Armed Forces Chaplain Links
- American Muslim Armed Forces and Veterans Council
- United States Air Force Chaplain Service http://www.chaplaincorps.af.mil/
- United States Army Chaplaincy http://www.goarmy.com/chaplain.html
- Chaplain 101 http://www.goarmy.com/chaplain/candidate-program.html
- US Army Chaplain Training Center www.usachcs.army.mil/
- Army Chief of Chaplains web site http://www.chapnet.army.mil/
- Army Reserves Chaplaincy http://www.armyreserve.org/Chaplains.html
- Intelligence Chaplain site http://www.goang.com/Career/Chaplain/52RX
- United States Navy Chief of Chaplains www.chaplain.navy.mil/
- Coast Guard Chaplaincy http://www.uscg.mil/chaplain/
- Civil Air Patrol www.capnhq.gov
- Marine Corp Chaplaincy http://www.marines.mil/Pages/Default.aspx
- ChaplainCare http://www.chaplaincare.navy.mil/index.htm
Institutional Chaplaincy Sites
- Corporate Chaplains of America www.iamchap.org
- National Association of College and University Chaplains www.nacuc.net/
- Hospital Chaplains’ Ministry of America, Inc.
- International Conference of Police Chaplains http://www.icpc4cops.org/
- Correctional Officers Chaplaincy site
- Fire Chaplains Site http://www.ffcfirechaplains.org/firechaplains.htm
- The HealthCare Chaplaincy is a professional, multi-faith, multicultural center for pastoral care, education, and research. We are dedicated to the pastoral care of persons who are in spiritual, emotional, and physical distress or need.
- Pediatric Chaplains Network http://www.pediatricchaplains.org/
- National Institute of Business and Industrial Chaplains
- Professional Chaplains Organization http://www.professionalchaplains.org/
- American Association of Pastoral Counselors
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education The ACPE is a multicultural, multi-faith organization devoted to improving the quality of ministry and pastoral care offered by spiritual caregivers of all faiths through the educational methods of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- Association of Professional Chaplains
- Canadian Association for Pastoral Practice and Education
- International Network of Prison Ministries
- The National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) is an association of pastoral ministers who participate in the church’s mission of healing. Our mission is to promote professional development and support services for our members. We respond to the signs of the times prophetically and collaborate with others who share our mission.
- Assembly of Episcopal Healthcare Chaplains The Mission and Purpose of the Assembly is to foster Chaplaincy as an essential expression of the church’s healing ministry in response to the gospel imperative. The vision of AEHC is to further its mission by three means: advocacy, communication, and education.
- Canadian Association for Pastoral Practice and Education (CAPPE) http://www.cappe.org
- Coalition On Ministry In Specialized Settings http://www.comissnetwork.org/
- Journal of Pastoral Care Publications http://www.jpcp.org
- The American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC) http://www.aapc.org
- National Association of Jewish Chaplains (NAJC) http://www.najc.org/about/mission
- The United Methodist Section of Chaplains and Related Ministries http://www.gbhem.org
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) http://www.aamft.org
- American Association Mental Retardation/Religious Division http://www.aamr.org
- American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC) http://www.aapc.org
- Civil Air Patrol (CAP) go to CAP directorates http://www.capnhq.gov
- Crime Victims Advocacy Council http://www.cvaconline.org/
- Military Chaplains’ Association http://www.mca-usa.org
- National Association of Veterans Affairs Chaplains (NAVAC) http://www.navac.net/
- National Conference on Ministry to the Armed Forces http://www.ncmaf.org/
- OMNI: Journal of Spiritual and Religious Care http://www.omni.omc.ca/ This is the Online Journal of the Ontario Multifaith Council on Spiritual and Religious Care and has a readership which includes chaplains in various institutional settings, clergy and faith group leaders, and many government and institutional administrators.
http://www.indeed.com/ job resource
FAQ’s about Islam http://www.hartsem.edu/macdonald/information-about-islam
Hartford Seminary Islamic web resources http://hartsem.edu/islamic-resources